Fayette County, Ohio
Fayette County is a county located in the state of Ohio, United States. According to the 2020 census, it has a population of 28,525, which is a decrease of 1.8% from 29,030 in 2010. Its county seat is Washington Court House. It was named for the Marquis de Lafayette, a Frenchman who was an officer in the American Army in the Revolution, when established on March 1, 1810. (www.wikipedia.org)
Washington Court House
Washington Court House is a city in Fayette County, Ohio, United States. It is the county seat of Fayette County and is located approximately halfway between Cincinnati and Columbus, Ohio. The population was 14,091 in 2020 according to the 2020 census. Until 2002, the official name of the city was City of Washington, but there also existed a municipality in Guernsey County, Ohio with the name Washington (now known as Old Washington). The area was originally settled by Virginia war veterans who received the land from the government as payment for their service in the American Revolution. In 2002, a new charter was adopted, officially changing the name to the "City of Washington Court House." The name is often abbreviated as "Washington C.H."
Washington C.H. has an unusual street grid layout. Typically, street grids are arranged east-west and north-south, especially in the Midwest. In this case, the streets in the downtown area, centering on the courthouse building, are arranged northeast-southwest and northwest-southeast. This was done so that all four sides of the courthouse building would receive some sunlight every day of the year. In the traditional grid system, the north side of a building never receives direct sunlight during the fall and winter months. (www.wikipedia.org)